“Because everyone deserves the gift of music”
Welcome to 2022! Melbourne Youth Chorale is looking forward to another amazing year. When we saw what the choristers achieved last year around the lockdown and online learning, we’re really excited about the possibilities for this year!
We kicked the year off with a casual picnic on Saturday 29 January and had our first rehearsal at Beaconsfield Neighbourhood Centre on Wednesday 2 February. The choristers were excited to be back again, producing beautiful music together and catching up with their friends.
Our Flying Free Choir for children with intellectual disability has started! We’re so excited to have finally launched this choir after 18 months of preparation and planning. Our lovely teacher, Monika Harris, is leading the choristers through music-based games and activities focused on communication and social development. For more information visit the website at www.melbourneyouthchorale.com.au or contact Kerry at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have some fabulous plans lined up for Term 1, including a performance at Temp Rubato on 19 March, courtesy of Piano Project (www.pianoproject.org.au); and our 35th Anniversary Concert on 2 April with The Velvetones as guests! Look out for details on our Facebook page!
Another huge development for 2022 is the launch of our MYChoir Program, a VIP program for our regular donors. Please take a moment to have a look at the campaign at https://gift-of-music.raisely.com. We’re looking for 50 special people to join the MYC Community, changing lives through the gift of music.
What’s unique about MYC?
- Melbourne Youth Chorale (MYC) is a children’s choir based on the Kodaly method. But it’s not just a children’s choir: it’s a complete music education program. But it’s even more than that: it’s a life-changing social community.
- MYC embraces children aged 6-20 of all backgrounds and abilities, particularly children from disadvantaged backgrounds who might not otherwise have access to quality music education. The program is run by a team of qualified and experienced teachers, organised by a volunteer Board of management, and operated by a huge volunteer team.
- Every child deserves the gift of music, and so many children in Melbourne can’t afford music lessons. MYC’s comprehensive musicianship curriculum builds a child’s music literacy systematically in three levels, Bronze, Silver and Gold. A graduate from the Gold level is equipped for VCE/University music and a career path. We change lives, not just through the gift of music but through the value we place on a strong and positive social community.
- Rehearsals and musicianship tutorials are run on Wednesday after school at Beaconsfield Neighbourhood Centre. Performances are scattered throughout the term in various venues.
- MYC is a charity, operating on a ‘donate what you can afford’ basis. MYC relies on donations and sponsorships and we warmly invite you to join our MYChoir Program!
We look forward to sharing 2022 with you!